Udemy is the most popular e-learning application development company globally, with almost 40 million learners registered. If you want to know how to create an online education website like Udemy and other popular platforms, we’ve got some advice.
Before starting to create a website like Udemy, you should define what type of education website you would like to operate. There are several formats.
- Language Teaching Site: These sites docs on reading, writing, and speaking a new language. Learners either watch videos or complete tasks on apps, or they take lessons over video call apps with native speakers.
- Educational Video Sites: Video lessons can be pre-recorded and shared as part of a course or viewed on their own. There are usually quizzes that learners can access. If you want to create an Udemy like website, you’ll need video capabilities.
- How-To Sites: Popular websites cater to specific how-to questions like WikiHow are popular.
- ● Academic Sites: If you want to create a website like Coursera or create a website like EDX, you want to gather academic material and provide qualifications or certifications.
- Digital Libraries: Some educational websites curate materials about a topic, making it an exhaustive source of information about a subject.
Once you know what type of site to create, you can start thinking about the features you want to add. The features will determine how expensive the project will be, what type of programming language you need to use, and what it will look like.
If you are wondering how to build a website like Udemy or its competitors, you have to start with making your website (and its contents) discoverable. Your students have to be able to find the website and its contents quickly and easily. Make sure that your site is optimized for SEO and has a quality search engine to help students find the course they are looking for and reduce the frustration that could lead to abandonment. From there, you can add rich features like video and quizzes.
Good, modern education sites are optimized for mobile because students on the go use a variety of different devices, like tablets, mobile phones, and laptops. You should try to build a site with a responsive design that can accommodate the plethora of devices your team will use.
Lastly, don’t neglect your content. Try to find the best teachers and engaging videos for your students. If possible, customize and personalize as many of the courses and activities as possible.
If speed is of the essence, you could also use a language like PHP. PHP isn’t as popular, but you can use a framework like Laraval to create web apps in a very short amount of time.
Hiring your own team takes time and can be prohibitively expensive. It’s a good idea to keep your costs low by offshoring your developers to other parts of the world (e.g., Eastern Europe, China, or India) where development costs are much lower.
Now that you know how to create an online education website like Udemy, you can get started building your online education empire!