When you hear the word ‘Artificial Intelligence’, the first few things that must strike your mind must be robots, self-driving cars, chatbots, digital assistants, etc. These are some powerful and interesting real-world applications of Artificial Intelligence. The field has grown a lot in the past decade and continues to grow.
Artificial Intelligence is a computer science field that is often called machine intelligence. Through AI, a machine can be taught how to understand and react like humans. The aim of AI is to build machines capable of thinking, behaving, and understanding the way humans do. AI has already reached a stage where people are talking about it replacing redundant job roles with automation and smart devices. However, we are far behind the time when machines will have complete control of our everyday life.
Also See: How to use Location Changer iPhone
If you are an AI professional, you will have ample opportunities in this field. Some of the most popular AI jobs are machine learning engineers, research scientists, data scientists, AI engineers, and business intelligence developers. The most prominent role is that of an AI engineer. To get a job in this role, you must be updated with the latest tech innovations and have the required qualifications.
As a fresher, you must have a Bachelor’s degree in one of the following subjects:
- Computer Science/Information Technology
- Mathematics and Statistics
Apart from the Bachelor’s degree, you must also have problem-solving skills, analytical skills, effective communication, industry knowledge, and creative thinking. To get these skills, you can either take up a Master’s degree or enrol in an online program. It is important that you take up the online course or the training program from an accredited institute. With a bachelor’s degree, you will be able to grab an entry-level position. However, with a Master’s degree, you can make up for a lack of experience.
You should go for a Master’s program or a PhD if you want to get a leadership role that entails supervision. The Master’s degree should offer advanced computer science education along with a specialization in Artificial Intelligence. You can also go for a Master’s degree in Artificial Intelligence. The robust coursework of the program will include real-world application domains and problems that will allow you to become an expert in the field.
If you are already working in the IT industry and want to enter the field of AI, you need to fine-tune your skills and learn the latest technologies. As an AI professional, you must have an in-depth theoretical and practical knowledge of the field. With your practical approach towards AI technologies, you will have an edge over your counterparts. Getting an AI certification will earn you brownie points while looking for an AI job.
AI is an emerging field that is filled with a multitude of opportunities. If you want to take advantage of these opportunities, you must know about the technical as well as non-technical skills you have to master.
1. Technical Skills
- Programming languages – To be an AI engineer, you must have a knack for coding. Being proficient in languages like C++, Java, Python, and R is crucial as it helps you understand different concepts like classes and data structures. If you learn the programming languages, you will have an added advantage as companies want individuals with a diverse skill set.
- Linear Algebra, Calculus, and Statistics – To learn how machine learning and algorithms function, you must have an understanding of statistics. Gaussian distributions, Mean, standard deviation are often used in the field of AI. You must also have an in-depth knowledge of probability and models such as Naive Bayes, Gaussian Mixture Models and Hidden Markov models. Additionally, you must also be familiar with matrices, vectors, matrix multiplication, derivatives, and integrals.
- Natural Language Processing – This is a sub-field of AI that enables computers to process and understand human languages. Through natural language processing, computers are closer to getting a human-level understanding of the language. It includes two major areas – computer science and linguistics. With this, you will also get to work with text, audio, and video. That is why it is recommended that you get a good working knowledge of libraries like Gensim and NLTK. Control over techniques like sentimental analysis, word2vec, and summarization is also advised.
- Neural Network Architectures – Machine Learning comes into play whenever a task becomes too complicated and complex for humans to code. Recent advances in the field of machine learning have enabled computers to perform tasks that are impractical for humans to even comprehend. Neural Networks have become a precise method of approaching problems such as speech recognition, translation, and image classification.
2. Non-technical skills
As an AI engineer, your job also involves explaining to your stakeholders the critical events. These individuals don’t have any idea of the field or have any technical skills. So, you must have the following non-technical skills as well:
- Industry knowledge – As an AI professional, you must have an in-depth knowledge of the industry you are working in. Only then will you be able to understand the real-world scenarios and provide useful insights.
- Communication skills – In order to communicate concepts of machine learning and artificial intelligence to non-technical audiences in a simple language, you need communication skills. Explaining these concepts will become much easier with good communication skills.
- Critical thinking – As an AI engineer, you must be intrigued by data and numbers. This interest will help you get insightful conclusions.
Thanks to the emergence of the AI field, all the sectors are looking for AI professionals who can implement Artificial Intelligence. Needless to say, having the right skills will make you a very desirable candidate.
We live in a world that is driven by technology. Professionals want to upgrade themselves so that they are ready for the tech jobs of the new age. There are several online training institutes and online programs that can help you land the job you want. These certification programs have been created by industry experts and allow you to gain the skills that validate your technical competency.
AI has been making giant strides. And if you want to catch up with the technology, you must educate yourself. So, enrol yourself in an online training program like Simplilearn’s AI and ML courses and start your journey in the field of AI.