Family history is important, more important than many of us think. Most of us have a plethora of photographs, whether it be pictures of us as a child, pictures of our children as they are growing up, photographs, of parents, grandparents, great grandparents and so on but to have a video of our family history, can really bring the past into the present day and allow it to come alive. Not only that, there are many other reasons why it is worth getting a family history video.
- It can help us feel connected by reminding us of our roots, of those who have gone before us and of those who cared for us. It can provide us with some very touching memories, helping to remind us that we are part of a bigger picture. In reminding us that we are a part of a connected family, it can help us to build our own self-worth.
- We are now used to a visual world with online videos and graphics and so representing our family history by video allows for an interesting and appealing way to share our memories. The video can then be shared with other family members and friends at family get-togethers and can also provide some amusement as we are reminded of days gone by, the styles, the events of the time and the activities. It also provides an excellent insight into the history of bygone days which can be particularly informative for our children who can only touch base with the present day. It opens up questions, and can provide a valuable visual lesson in history and presents it all in a medium which is appealing to the young.
- It helps us to build our own resilience as we are reminded of the struggles of bygone days. It is very easy to look back and think that everything was better then but to have a visual representation of the problems as well as the good times, reminds us of that balance. Learning what our ancestors did to overcome their difficulties can provide us with the strength to overcome our own. It can be very humbling sometimes to recognize the difficult times from the past.
- It can help with our understanding as we watch a timeline of events, it can fill gaps in our own childhood memories and provide us with a feeling of compassion towards those who cared for us and helped us to become who we are now.
- It can help to strengthen the bond between family members.
- It can also be fun! Watching touching moments, silly moments and being able to relive moments that we would rather forget!
Above all, a family history video allows us to tell our story in our way and leave behind a valuable piece of history, a memorable and fascinating record for our children, their children and for future generations. A video can be easily shared within your family circle providing everyone with valuable insight into their roots.