Alexa is a virtual assistant developed by Amazon two years back. Alexa was first used in the Amazon Echo, and the Amazon Echo dot speakers. The brand has now added support for Hindi and Hinglish to Alexa. From today onwards, the amazon echo line up users in the country will be able to set up Hindi as their default language. Amazon claimed that the Alexa is now ready to understand the customers speaking in Hindi or Hinglish. Rohit Prasad, Vice President, and Head Scientist, Alexa AI, Amazon stated in one of these statements that Amazon is extremely thankful to the Indian Customers who contributed to Hindi development through the Cleo Skill.
How to select default language as Hindi?
To get started with Hindi, just say, “Alexa, help me set up Hindi.”
For the existing Echo owners in India:
- Change your device language to Hindi or Hinglish via language options inside the device setting that is available on the Alexa App.
- Echo shows users that can access the settings section to change the language by swiping down from the top of the screen.
Some other noticeable features in Alexa:
- It can now understand instructions such as “Bollywood ke latest gane sunao,” “cricket score batao,” “sher ki aawaaz sunao”, or “Alexa, apne baare mei batao”.
- You can interact with Alexa in different regional ranges of colloquial Hindi.
- Alexa Hindi is available on smart speakers by Bose
- Famous brands such as Motorola, MyBox, Boat, Portronics, Fingers, Sony, iBall, and Dish will be soon launching and updating their existing Alexa-built in devices to support Hindi or Hinglish
- Brands like Ola, ChuChu TV, All India Radio, Red FM, and Amar Chitra Katha have already started building Alexa skills with a Hindi flavor.
Puneesh Kumar, Country Manager for Alexa Experiences and Devices, Amazon India, said that after today’s launch, Alexa has become more local and it will not only understand and respond in Hindi or Hinglish but it also the package of knowledge about topics that interests users in the country ranging from local information to music, and from Bollywood to cricket.
Amazon is working to offer the customers the option or an upgrade in Alexa, where they will be able to speak to Alexa in Hindi or English without changing the language setting back and forth. More importantly, the brand is working on adding simultaneous multi-language support to the voice assistant.