Machine learning is changing the future of electronic design. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers highlighted this in the paper “Opportunities for Machine Learning in Electronic Design Automation.” The paper was published last year. We have witnessed a new trend that confirms their findings. Machine learning has become even more widely accepted since.
The reality is that electronic designers face a variety of challenges. This is true for design engineers working at both the macro and micro design level. Designers trying to create new IoT products are going to have to overcome a number of obstacles. However, even companies making seemingly simple electronic products like PCB boards will have to face ongoing challenges as well. The best electronic design software relies heavily on sophisticated machine learning capabilities.
Machine learning can play a very important part of the design process for any electronic components. Electronic design engineers must understand their capabilities and use it to their full advantage. Designers that lack a formal background in engineering might benefit even more because they can use machine learning software to automate processes that they are not equipped to handle on their own.
The Landscape of Electronic Design Challenges and the Role Machine Learning Will Play
In the future, electronic design projects will have to invest in more complex design technology. They will need to concentrate their resources on projects that provide a substantive benefit in the design processing, rather than focusing almost entirely on enhancing the IT infrastructure that will support it.
This is one of the most valuable aspects of machine learning. Machine learning technology is invaluable in the design process.
There is another reason that machine learning is helpful. In fact, it will be even more important as new regulations and standards are implemented. A number of important changes are coming which relate to the design and execution of electronic products. These changes are fundamentally driven by new characteristics that are going to impact the functionality of these projects. Let’s analyze some of them:
- One of the biggest changes in the evolution of a new paradigm of technological contracting. This affects everything from the modality of services, infrastructure, platform and applications as services (IaaS, PaaS and SaaS).
- Agile technology is also changing the future of the IT sector in every developed economy in the world. New agile development and implementation methods are being utilized in a number of different capacities. Electronics devices need to be designed with these new agile standards in mind.
- Since the cloud has broken into various areas of technology services delivery, which ranges from the base infrastructure to specific applications, it has led to putting pressure on the design of projects in other areas.
Some of the new standards that need to be developed include:
- Identifying the levels of service required
- Outlining the specification of new requirements in more flexible and higher-level modalities
- Overseeing the contractual model and its clauses associated with services rather than products
- Establishing the ownership and management of the data
- Guaranteeing confidentiality and access to data
Many of these functions seem to fall under the responsibilities of software and network engineers, rather than the electronic designers that develop the infrastructure behind them. However, electronic devices are going to play a very important role in the process as well. These functions can’t be met without the right electronics devices as the backbone of the infrastructure.
As IEEE authors Peter A. Beerel and Massoud Pedram pointed out, machine learning can play a very important role in this process. Electronics designers can use new machine learning tools to develop the infrastructure that is going to be needed to satisfy these requirements.
These efforts are not only from the point of view of the documents necessary to go out to contract them to the market but also, at the moment of their subsequent daily management.
On the other hand, new paradigms in the processes of design and implementation of business applications, as mentioned; which have begun to adopt methods of design and development of the agile type, in its different flavors, which, as I have expressed previously requires new ways of approach.