Since 2018, the aviation ministry had been finding the use of facial recognition technology for decongesting airports with quick check-ins. Now, Delhi’s Indira Gandhi Airport has started a three-month trial of biometric facial recognition entry system. The facial recognition technology is a process based on facial recognition that allows passenger’s entry automatically to all the checkpoints, including airport entry, entry into security checks, and aircraft boarding. For now, the trial of biometric facial recognition entry system is for domestic passengers of Vistara airline Terminal 3. The main concern behind the use of facia recognition facility is to encourage paperless travel and avoiding multiple identity checks in an airport.
The spokesperson of Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL) confronted that the participation in the trials is purely voluntary and at the discretion of the passengers. He also added that a suitable consent form will be signed by passengers and the trial will run for three months post which subsequent roll-out plans will be made.
After the successful completion of the trial, the facial recognition facility would be officially launched at Terminal 3 and at other terminals at Delhi airport.
WORKING OF FACIAL RECOGNITION TECHNOLOGY AT DELHI AIRPORT
- As per Delhi International Airport Limited first of all the passengers need to enroll themselves with valid flight tickets and government ID proofs will start at the registration kiosk.
- Second step would be capturing the facial details of the passengers by the camera.
- The documents submitted by the passenger will be validated by the Central Industrial Security Force officer available at kiosk.
- The officer will physically check the passenger’s ID proof and confirm the system.
- In the end, the passenger can approach the dedicated e e-gate, which is fitted with facial recognition cameras
- The e-gates will open automatically after the facial recognition process is completed.
- The passenger then proceeds towards the check-in counters to drop their bags.
- The same thing needs to be done by the passenger to clear the security screening.
- After the security screening formality is done, the passenger can go and board the flight through the dedicated boarding e-gates.
- The gates open automatically after the camera recognizes the passenger’s registered face.
Will sharing the information effect the privacy of passengers?
NO! during the trial period, the biometric data with all the details will be stored temporarily only to enable the departure process. As soon as the flight departs, the data of the registered passenger will e deleted.